Top Ten Tuesday: Authors I NEED to Read More

Tuesday, September 16, 2014



In an effort to provide a little more regular programming, I am going to start experimenting with some weekly features. This week I am trying out the weekly meme Top Ten Tuesday. Have an idea of something you'd like to see? Leave it in the comments below! 


It is a weekly meme created by The Broke and The Bookish. Each week, they post a new Top Ten list, and then bloggers can response with their answers. Without further ado, this week's list (in no particular order)! 


Top Authors I've Only Read One Book From But NEED to Read More: 

  1. Ann Leckie: This one isn't my fault, as she only has one novel out: Ancillary Justice. But the next in the series, Ancillary Sword, is high on my to-read list.
  2. Guy Gavriel Kay: I read Kay's Tigana with the Sword and Laser bookclub in 2013 and thought the author did a great job of twisting some familiar fantasy tropes. I hope to get a chance to read The Lions of Al-Rassan.
  3. Kate Atkinson: I read her Life after Life last winter and loved it (although wouldn't recommend it for any other new parent that is worried about all the things that go wrong for their children). I will probably start with her popular Jackson Brodie series, which I heard hyped at SDCC this year.
  4. Joe Abercrombie: I read his most recent novel Half a King and plan to continue that series when the next comes out. I plan on reading his novel Red Country soon. 
  5. Jo Walton: I read her Hugo winning novel Among Others with the Sword and Laser bookclub in 2013 and have read some of her short fiction since then. Her novel My Real Children has been on my to-read list for awhile.
  6. Jim Butcher: I set a goal of reading one long series every year, and I'm pretty certain next year's series will be Butcher's Dresden files. I've only read the first in his Codex Alera (high fantasy) series Furies of Calderon (because who doesn't want to read a book in which the author tried to mix Roman legions and Pokemon, right?). 
  7. C.J. Cherryh: Sometimes a girl needs straight up politics and space opera, am I right? I read Cherryhy's Hugo-award winning Downbelow Station with the Sword and Laser bookclub in 2013, and I appreciated the story's complexity of the politics / science fiction. I will probably start with Foreigner.
  8. David Mitchell: Read his Cloud Atlas with (wait for it...) the Sword and Laser bookclub and loved the unconventional storyline (gave my reading muscles a workout!)...I am definitely interested in his newly published The Bone Clocks.
  9. Margaret Atwood: Probably one of my biggest sources of reader shame is having only read Atwood's The Handmaid's Tale, which was definitely not the most comfortable read but so very very interesting. I've had her Oryx and Crake novel on my to-read list for awhile.
  10. Scott Lynch: Reading 1.5 novels still counts as 1 novel, right? I read Lynch's Lies of Locke Lamora (with the Sword and Laser bookclub, surprise!) and started the sequel on audiobook only to get caught up in other reads. I need to start Red Seas under Red Skies again. Because I need to know what happens to my favorite gentlemen bastards. I probably just wont listen to the audiobook, as I've found I don't really enjoy my stories as much that way.
As you can imagine, my to-read list is way. too. long! Making this list definitely made me appreciate the Sword and Laser book club, which I discovered back in 2012 and have been reading the picks for ever since. This online book club has done a great job of introducing me to new (to me) authors!

2 comments:

  1. Fantastic list! I grabbed a few new authors for my own TBR list off of your TTT list. And welcome to TTT! I hope to see future Top Ten lists from you. My TTT: http://bookishginger.blogspot.com/2014/09/top-ten-tuesday_16.html Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marie -- Thanks for stopping by. and I am glad you found some new authors to check out! My to-read list is definitely in danger of exploding every time I check out other book blogs -- we are definitely living in an amazing time to be a fan of reading, right? :)

      Delete

Copyright © 2014 Exploring Worlds
Template by These Paper Hearts