Soundtrack Saturday: Dark Tower's Eddie

Saturday, October 4, 2014

This Saturday & for the month of October, I am participating in Soundtrack Saturday, a meme created by the blogger The Hardcover Lover (with a few changes). I started last week, with a soundtrack devote to Roland. As noted last week, I am creating character-specific playlists from my most recent (and still ongoing) obsession, the Dark Tower.

This week, I am featuring a playlist for Eddie Dean. When we first meet Eddie in Drawing of the Three, he is 20-something heroin addict with an attachment to his older brother (and also addict) Henry.

I love Eddie mostly for his wise cracks / humor and you-got-to-be-kidding-me attitude toward Roland for much of the series. He grows to understand the strange things Roland spouts (ka, gunslinger instincts), but I appreciate that he serves as a character for us, the reader, to lose our disbelief with.

Once again - I compiled my playlist into Spotify -- so hit play to listen along!

Eddie Dean

1. Priory - Weekend: Eddie had unhealthy family relationships. The subplot early in the series of Eddie working through those toxic relationships was one of my favorite.

Tonight I might just lose my way / But I'll never get down hearted
Good friends keep enemies at bay / Forget that I was ever your whipping boy

2.  Fitz and The Tantrums - Out of My League: I loved that Eddie just refused to believe Roland. Because I am pretty sure I would do the same. (I am not sure I'd have Eddie's guts to have a gunfight naked, though.) 

All the things I believe / You were just the right kind
Yeah, you are more than just a dream

3. Passenger - Let Her Go: Eddie misses our world, even when it was crappy to him in so many ways. I get it, and I wish more characters that get sent into weird challenging situations missed home a little more. Our world does rock, I mean, we have astin!

Only know you've been high when you're feeling low
Only hate the road when you're missin' home

Maybe one day you'll understand why / Everything you touch surely dies.

4. Florence + The Machine - Cosmic Love: When Susannah goes missing, Eddie almost loses it. (Well, all the characters almost lose it.) His devotion to Susannah really came through for me then.

I took the stars from our eyes, and then I made a map
And knew that somehow I could find my way back.
Then I heard your heart beating, you were in the darkness too
So I stayed in the darkness with you. 

5. Mumford & Sons - Feel the Tide: For me one of my vivid scenes involving Eddie was when the ka-tet were all reunited after spending most of a book in two separate groups. When Eddie and Susannah reunited -- so good. (Damn you, Stephen King. I've got feels again.) 

But you and I now / We can be alright
Just hold on to what we know is true

6. Panama Wedding - All of The People: When Eddie and the others realize they are characters and the whole third wall is blown? Are we all just character's in some other world's book, at the whim of someone else's storytelling? Whoa, right?

All of the people / all of the people take
take it away / you know maybe you just made me believe.

7. J Roddy Walston And The Business - Take It As It Comes: Eddie dismisses Roland early on as crazy (and his concepts as ka-ka). But eventually, he accepts that he is a gunslinger and has an important unreplaceable role in the ka-tet. 

You gotta take it as it comes
You gotta make your final run. 
Well, I got no place to go. 
I got no other life I know. 
I put the bullet in the gun. 
You gotta take it as it comes.

Do you have any songs for Eddie? Have you started the Dark Tower series yet? (No? Why not?!? ;) ) Next week, I'll post a playlist for Susannah.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for adding your post to the link up and for participating. This is where I'm eventually taking the meme, but I wanted to start it out slow. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Erin -- thanks for getting the meme organized! I hope that you feel better soon.

      Delete

Copyright © 2014 Exploring Worlds
Template by These Paper Hearts